Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Schoolhouse



Marker ID: DAR 
Location: South of University Dr. at the University of Tampa
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.859    W 082° 27.908
  27.94765    -82.46513333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGFMT
 



Text:

Old Schoolhouse
Placed on the National Register of Historical Places 1975


Built circa 1855 by Gen. Jesse Carter for his daughter Josephine. He employed Mrs. Louisa Porter as teacher. The first class included Josephine Carter, Janie Givens, Mary Lesley, Mary Kelly, Eugenia Spencer, Lizzie Spencer and Hayden Porter. Jessie J. Hayden purchased the property in 1865. His granddaughter Marion A. McKay was born in the school Oct. 8, 1875. In 1886 Henry B. Plant bought the property for his hotel. He saved the School and it was used as an apothecary shop by Dr. J. M. Grantham. In 1905 the Hotel was sold to the City of Tampa. The School was presented to the DeSoto Chapter DAR in 1931 by Mayor D. B. McKay and City Representatives.


The DeSoto Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution