Historic Markers Across Florida



The Beginning of the Cigar Industry in West Tampa



Marker ID:  
Location: On N Howard Ave at W Union St., Tampa, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 57.469    W 082° 28.978
  27.95781666    -82.48296666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGCC9
 



Text:

A cigar factory built on this site in June 1892 by Hugh C. Macfarlane brought the first industry to the community of West Tampa. First operated by A. Del Pino and Company, it failed financially. In 1894 the O'Halloran Cigar Company occupied the building.

On May 18, 1895, a bill passed Florida's legislature creating the municipality of West Tampa. Its first mayor was Fernando Figueredo, a prominent figure in the Cuban revolution.

Tampa Historical Society