Historic Markers Across Florida



Circulo Cubano (Cuban Club)



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: 2010 Avenida Republica de Cuba
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 57.707    W 082° 26.659
  27.96178333    -82.44431666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Late 19th and early 20th century Cuban immigration to the United States was impressive for the craft talents brought to the country. Along with their Spanish counterparts, skilled Cuban cigar makers made Tampas hand-rolled cigars world famous. As early as 1899 Cuban immigrants formed recreational societies with varying degrees of success, and in 1902, Cuban workers founded El Circulo Cubano as a mutual aid society to bind all Cuban residents of Tampa into a fraternal group, to offer assistance and help to the sick. When fire destroyed the first clubhouse in 1916, members immediately initiated plans for its replacement. The present four-story, yellow brick building with Neo-Classical design elements sits on the original site at 14th Street and 10th Avenue. Constructed in 1917, the building contained a theater, pharmacy, library, ballroom, and cantina. Imported tile, stained glass windows and elaborately carved scraffito spandrels decorated the structure. The ballroom ceiling displayed elaborate murals. The clubhouse provided an elegant gathering place for members and served as a unifying force in the Cuban community. The National Register of Historic Places listed El Circulo Cubano in 1972.

Sponsors: Historic Tampa/Hillsborough County Preservation Board and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL