Historic Markers Across Florida



Congregation Rodeph Sholom-Tampa, FL



Marker ID:  
Location: 2713 Bayshore Blvd, Tampa, FL.
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 55.253    W 082° 29.339
  27.92088333    -82.48898333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5J18
 



Text:

Congregation Rodeph Sholom, Tampa´s oldest Conservative congregation, was founded in 1903, at the home of J. L. Mairson, with 20 families. The goal was to serve the Jewish community by providing a religious, educational and social gathering place in the "true spirit of Judaism." Rodeph Sholom grew from a small building on Palm Avenue in Ybor City to a larger structure on the same grounds in 1909. A permanent building was constructed in 1936. The Ladies Auxiliary and Brotherhood organizations were formed in 1917. In 1918, the Religious School was organized to offer children a Jewish education. With continued growth of Tampa´s Jewish population. Rodeph Sholom constructed its current facility was added on the same grounds. The congregation has a history rich with tradition and will serve Tampa´s Conservative Jewish community for many years to come

Congregation Rodeph Sholom, The Hillsborough County Historic Advisory Council and The Tampa Historical Society


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL