Historic Markers Across Florida



Congregation Schaarai Zedek



Marker ID:  
Location: on W Swann Ave at S Lincoln Ave.
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.254    W 082° 29.866
  27.93756666    -82.49776666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5KN9
 



Text:

History records that the first Jewish services in Tampa were conducted in 1894 by Mr. M. Henry Cohen, Sr, in the old Masonic Temple at the corner of Franklin and Washington Streets. On October 14, 1894, 31 men and women met at Mr Cohen´s home to form the first synagogue in Tampa, Schaarai Zedek (Gates of Righteousness) was selectedas the name. On November 4, 1894, the Dance Academy of Mrs Baker on Florida Avenue was rented for Sunday School. On January 15, 1899, the Congregation erected a synagogue on a lot they purchased on Florida Avenue. The cornerstone was laid on August 15, 1899 by Mr Herman Glolowski. He was a founding member, President of the Congregation in 1899, and served as Mayor of Tampa off and on between 1886-1893. The Congregation moved to New Suburb Beautiful at the corner of Delawae and DeLon Streets on June 8, 1924 and to its present location in 1957.

Tampa Bay History Center, Hillsborough County Historical Advisory Council, Tampa Historical Society and Shimberg Society


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL