Historic Markers Across Florida



Convent of the Holy Names Academy of the Holy Names Oldest School In Tampa



Marker ID:  
Location: Bayshore Boulevard, Tampa
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 54.902    W 082° 29.501
  27.91503333    -82.49168333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7CWB
 



Text:

At midnight, July 18, 1881, two sisters, Marie Augustin, Marie Maurice of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, arrived in Tampa from Key West to establish a Catholic School

"They came empty handed," the first money raised from the soldiers at Fort Brooke. In September the school was started in a former gunsmith shop on Zack St. By 1891, the school was located in a majestic building at Twiggs and Marion Streets. In 1928, the Academy of the Holy Names was moved to its present location on Bayshore Boulevard.

Erected by Academy of the Holy Names Foundations with the cooperation of the Tampa Historical Society


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL