Historic Markers Across Florida



First Methodist Church 1851 - 1891



Marker ID:  
Location: Kennedy Boulevard & Marion St., Tampa, FL.
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.922    W 082° 27.322
  27.9487    -82.45536666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Site of Tampa´s First Church Building and first frame ecclesiastical House of Worship erected in the area of all South Florida.

Built by the Methodist congregation under the superintendence of the Rev. L. G. Lesley.

General T. J. "Stonewall" Jackson contributed $5 in gold to its building fund; and General O. O. Howard, head of the Freedmen´s Bureau, Founder of Howard College, Washington, D.C. was converted therein.

Erected by the Hillsborough County Historical Commission


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL