Historic Markers Across Florida



Gary



Marker ID:  
Location: Hillsborough County Historical Advisory Council
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 57.608    W 082° 25.367
  27.96013333    -82.42278333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2H12
 



Text:

The name Gary was officially recognized with the establishment of the Gary post office in 1898. The official plat of "Gary-Town" was recorded in May 1903. The Gary neighborhood included both Gary-Town and Spanish Park, located to its east. The neighborhood´s boundaries extended from 26th Street on the west to 40th Street on the east. The population included Anglos, Italians, Spaniards and Cubans. Celery farming played a prominent role in Gary. The neighborhood also included cigar factories, a citrus packing house, dairies, a blacksmith shop, churches, boarding houses and several retail establishments.

The City of Gary was incorporated in October 1915. The municipal boundaries stretched from 30th Street on the west to 37th Street on the east and Wall Street (21st Avenue) on the north to the bay on the south. The state legislature abolished the City of Gary in 1919. Then, in 1923, the City of Tampa extended its boundaries to encompass the former City of Gary.

After World War II, an African American population moved into Gary. Unfortunately, in the 1960´s Interstate 4 cut through the neighborhood, destroying many homes. Still, the community´s spirit survived. The Gary School was recognized by the City of Tampa as an historical landmark in 2005. Former residents and friends fondly remember their neighborhood and sponsored this historic marker to remind others of the strong community of Gary.

Hillsborough County Historical Advisory Council - 2007


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL