Historic Markers Across Florida



Sociedad La Union Marti-Maceo



Marker ID: FLHM F-387
Location: 1226 7th Avenue
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 57.619    W 082° 26.760
  27.96031666    -82.446
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5WHV
 



Text:

When local racial segregationist force the withdrawal of Afro Cubans from El Club Nacional Cubnna, an organization of black and white Cubans involved in Cuban independence, Afro-Cubans cigar makers founded a society in 1900 at Los Libres Pensadores de Martl y Macco. Ruperto Pedroso,, well-known Afro-Cuban patriots, was among the 23 original founders. The club merged with La Union in 1904, resulting in a new name,La Union Marti-Macco. In 1909 members completed construction of a two-story clubhouse at 11th St. and 6th Ave..With an average membership of about 300, the club offered full medical benefits with a stipend for sick members, as well a special social, cultural, and educational activities. During the Depression of the 1930s, many Afro-Cubans left Tampa. Membership declined and benefits were reduced, but the club continued to operate. Urban Renewal demolished the original building in 1965, and members moved to the present location. By the late 1960s, few members remained and it appeared the organization would cease to exist. In the early 1970s the return of a large number of retirees who had left Ybor city as children, resulted in increased membership and a revitalization of the organization.

Sponsored by
City of Tampa
Yborr City Development Corp.
And Florida Department of State
Sandra B. Mortham, Secretary of State


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL