Historic Markers Across Florida



Hillsborough River Ferry 1846-1868



Marker ID:  
Location: Ashley Drive & Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL.
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.817    W 082° 27.619
  27.94695    -82.46031666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2ACY
 



Text:

At the nearby junction of Jackson Street and the Hillsborough River was the east bank docking site of the Tampa Ferry, the only means of crossing the river in pioneer days. The ferry was an open deck, flat barge, hand pulled by means of the steel cable. It operated until 1888, when construction of the first bridge terminated its usefulness.

Appointed by the County Commissioners, the first ferryman was Thomas Piper, 1846; followed by Benjamin J. Hagler, 1848 - Gen. Jesse Carter, 1854; Domenico Ghiro, 1864; Jesse J. Hayden, 1868.

Erected by Hillsborough County Historical Commission 1977


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL