Historic Markers Across Florida



Historic Fire Station No. 4



Marker ID:  
Location: At the Ybor City Museum State Park on E 9th Ave.
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 57.699    W 082° 26.339
  27.96165    -82.43898333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1WW8
 



Text:

In 1897, the first city-owned fire station in Ybor City was established on this site, then the heart of the Italian section.

It was a two- story frame building with a bell tower. Equipped with a hose - wagon and a hook and ladder truck, it also housed a blacksmith shop, and served as a hospital for fire horses.
In 1906, it was replaced with a brick building, and was used until 1972. In 1974, the station was designated for a museum, but was destroyed through a bureaucratic blunder.

Erected By The Italian - American Golf Association With The Cooperation of the Tampa Historical Society 1990


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL