Historic Markers Across Florida



Tampa Union Station



Marker ID: FLHM F-451
Location: on Nebraska Ave at Zack St, Tampa, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 57.140    W 082° 27.055
  27.95233333    -82.45091666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6ZM3
 



Text:

By 1902, the Seaboard Air Line [SAL] was formed and the Atlantic Coast Line [ACL] had taken over the rail system of Henry B. Plant. Tampa Union Station (TUS), built in 1912, was designed by architect J.F. Leitner in Italian Renaissance style, and served both railroads. The companies contributed $250,000 to build the station, which was managed by the Tampa Union Station Company. During the Depression, Americas passenger railroad earnings fell by half. Higher revenues during World War II were offset by the costs of overworking their stock to meet war needs. To increase profits, they reinvested in sleeker, more modern rolling stock, resulting in the Streamliner Era. Notable trains that served TUS then included the ACLs West Coast Champion, South Wind, the Southland and the SALs Silver Meteor, Silver Star and Sunland. In 1971, Amtrak began operating the nations passenger rail services and today runs trains out of Tampa Union Station. In 1991, the non-profit Tampa Union Station Preservation & Redevelopment, Inc. purchased the 1.97-acre terminal and baggage building, renovating in it 1998. Ownership was transferred to the City of Tampa in 1999. The station is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Sponsors: Tampa Union Station Preservation & Redevelopment, Inc. and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL