Historic Markers Across Florida



Historic Tampa Union Station



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: 601 Nebraska
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 57.218    W 082° 26.961
  27.95363333    -82.44935
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Built in 1912, Tampa Union Station (TUS) was designed by architect J.F. Leitner in Italian Renaissance style. TUS served both the Atlantic Coast Line and Seaboard Air Line Railroad. The railroad companies contributed $250,000 to build Tampa Union Station at Nebraska and Twiggs Streets. The new station was placed under the management of the Tampa Union Station Company. By the height of the Depression, the earnings of the nation´s passenger railroads had dropped by half. WWII bought higher revenues than in pre-war depression hears. The high earnings were offset by heavy costs due to high usage during the war years. This meant the need for huge reinvestment, thus heralding the “Streamliner Era.” Some of the notable trains that served TUS during this era were the Meteor, Silver Star and Silver Comet. In 1971 Amtrak took over operating he nation´s passenger rail services and continues to run trains out of Tampa Union Station. The 1.97-acre terminal and baggage building was purchased in 1991 by the non-profit Tampa Union Station Preservation & Redevelopment, Inc., and was fully renovated in 1998. Ownership was transferred to the city of Tamp in 1999.

Sponsors: Tampa Union Station Preservation and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL