Historic Markers Across Florida



Limona



Marker ID:  
Location: at the Limona Cemetery on Limona Rd, Brandon, FL .
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 57.138    W 082° 18.613
  27.9523    -82.31021666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2926
 



Text:

Limona - Founded January 12, 1876

Lakewood Drive, part of old Seminole Indian trails, led to Fort Brooke and "Pease Creek". In 1876 Judge Joseph Gillette Knapp of Wis. settled and named Limona after citrus trees left by the Spanish. In 1877 the Elgin Watch Co. formed Limona Park Ass´n for a winter retreat. Surveyor E.E. Pratt wrote the land was "best in Florida...high, dry...beautiful lakes...clear soft water". Knapp established this cemetery, a church, school and in 1878 a post office. In 1881 he proposed Tampa Historical Society.

Friends of Limona and Lakewood Dr. - December 28, 1989


Notes:

City: Brandon, FL