Historic Markers Across Florida



Tampa's First Paved Sidewalk - 1888



Marker ID:  
Location: City Hall Plaza, Franklin St. & Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL.
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.860    W 082° 27.466
  27.94766666    -82.45776666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMM1VQ
 



Text:

Archibald Ross, a native of Scotland, a member of the City Council "Tampa´s popular baker and the poor man´s friend" paved the walk around his brick building on the southeast corner of Franklin and LaFayette Streets with Georgia marble.

The first genuine pavement put down in Tampa was 168 feet long and 8 feet wide. These marble stones are the remnants of Archie Ross´ Historic sidewalk.

Preserved by the City of Tampa with the cooperation of the Tampa Historical Society


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL