Historic Markers Across Florida



Tampa's Oldest Restaurant - 1890



Marker ID:  
Location: 7th Avenue, between 14th and 15th Streets, Las Novedades, Ybor City, Tampa, FL.
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 57.619    W 082° 26.760
  27.96031666    -82.446
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5XGQ
 



Text:

Las Novedades was founded on this site when Ybor City was a tiny village. Its proprietor was Manuel (Canuto) Menendez. The coffee shop was a favorite rendezvous for the pioneer cigarmakers of the Sanchez Y Haya Cigar Factory located across the street. In November, 1891 Las Novedades was destroyed by fire. It reopened in 1892.

During the Spanish-American War the Rough Riders gained local fame when they gayly galloped into the small restaurant, and the Latin inhabitants termed the escapade, "The Charge of the Yellow Rice Brigade."

Erected by the Civitan Club of Ybor City 1962


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL