Historic Markers Across Florida



Timuquan Indian Mound



Marker ID:  
Location: 401 E. Platt St., Tampa, FL.
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.616    W 082° 27.376
  27.9436    -82.45626666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5KRN
 



Text:

Near this site on the shore of the bay, once stood a large Timuquan Temple Mound dating before the time of Christ. It was 50 feet in height with a large level space on top where elaborately decorated temples and residences of Indian Chiefs and Shamans had stood.

The Fort Brooke soldiers, in the 1840´s, used a tall Gumbo Limbo tree growing at the crest of the city-block long mound as a lookout post. The ladies of the post enjoyed ice cream parties at the summit in a beautiful Chinese pavilion.

After the Army withdrew in 1882, the mound was razed to fill the Jackson Street ditch which extended from Marion street to the river.

Erected by the Timuquanian Society, Inc. with the cooperation of the Tampa Historical Society


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL