Historic Markers Across Florida



The Andres Diaz Building



Marker ID:  
Location: on N Habana Ave at W Kathleen St, Tampa, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 58.055    W 082° 29.347
  27.96758333    -82.48911666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7CPD
 



Text:

In 1908 John Drew built this cigar factory for Andres Diaz and company of New York. One of the most modern of its day, it produced fine Havana cigars under the labels Terreno, Flor de A. Diaz and La Flor de Scott. West Tampa was becoming the Ciudad de Cigars, a world center for fine Havana cigar production. It attracted 178 cigar factories that employed some 8,000 workers. A. Diaz closed its operation in 1925, after which the building housed a number of other factories. Renovations began in 1980 to turn this architectural landmark into an office building.
Sponsored by The Tampa Historical Society

and the West Tampa Centennial Society, 1998.
Donated by D. Russell and Karin Stahl


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL

The Sentinel has been serving the Tampa community since 1945. It is the only African American publication in Florida that prints twice weekly and owns all its own printing equipment. The Sentinel distributes throughout the U.S. through subscriptions, and has door-to-door and news rack sales in Hillsborough, Polk, and Pinellas counties.

Florida Sentinel Bulletin