Historic Markers Across Florida



Kate Jackson Recreation Center



Marker ID:  
Location: on S Rome Ave at W Bristol Ave, Tampa, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.085    W 082° 28.615
  27.93475    -82.47691666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7CNH
 



Text:

KATE JACKSON
RECREATION CENTER
BUILT ON THE FORMER HOMESITE OF
KATE VERONICA JACKSON
Born January 13, 1857 - Died December 11, 1940


Kate Jackson deeded this property to Sacred Heart Catholic Church which later sold it to the city. The recreation center was named for her in recognition of her seminal efforts toward the development of Tampa´s first public playgrounds under trained directors. She is entitled to credit for the acquisition of Tampa´s first public playground and contributed a "considerable sum of money to its equipment," according to former Mayor D.B. McKay, in office in 1910. She was an organizer and first president of Tampa Civic Association, formed in 1911, which carried forward strenuous campaigns for playgrounds, city clean-up, a public library, better streets and beautification--"cultivating higher ideals of civic life and beauty" (her words).

SPONSORED BY HEIRS
CATHERINE CARTY CUNNINGHAM, LULA JOUGHIN DOVI, AND GEORGE JACKSON



Notes:

City: Tampa, FL

The Sentinel has been serving the Tampa community since 1945. It is the only African American publication in Florida that prints twice weekly and owns all its own printing equipment. The Sentinel distributes throughout the U.S. through subscriptions, and has door-to-door and news rack sales in Hillsborough, Polk, and Pinellas counties.

Florida Sentinel Bulletin