Historic Markers Across Florida



Most Holy Name 1920-1975



Marker ID:  
Location: Along 7th Ave in the eastern part of Ybor City, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 57.620    W 082° 25.964
  27.96033333    -82.43273333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGZK7
 



Text:

The Jesuits organized Most Holy Name parish in 1920 to serve Ybor City's Italian community. On Christmas 1922, Father Vicente Dente celebrated the first mass at Most Holy Name Church, located in the 2300 block, between 7th and 8th Avenues. The Salesians assumed administration of the parish in 1923, but then, in 1934, transferred authority to the Redemptorists. By the mid-1930s, over 100 parishioners, primarily women, were active with what became known as the "Italian Church."

The Salesian Sisters continued to be responsible for education within the parish. The Sisters, who lived in a convent on the church grounds, opened a nursery school and kindergarten in the church's basement in 1933. The Sisters gradually extended the Most Holy Name Catholic School to higher grades, and the school's facilities were expanded to accommodate more students. In the early 1950s, over 200 children attended Most Holy Name, which by then offered grades kindergarten through eighth grade.

Ybor City's Italian population decreased significantly after World War II, contributing to the demise of Most Holy Name. The school and convent both closed in 1967 and were razed. The final mass at the church was celebrated on June 15, 1975. Although none of its buildings remain, the values and lessons learned in Most Holy Name School and Church were forever part of the lives of its graduates and parishioners.

Hillsbourgh County Historical Advisory Council and the Friends of Most Holy Name Church and School


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL

The Sentinel has been serving the Tampa community since 1945. It is the only African American publication in Florida that prints twice weekly and owns all its own printing equipment. The Sentinel distributes throughout the U.S. through subscriptions, and has door-to-door and news rack sales in Hillsborough, Polk, and Pinellas counties.

Florida Sentinel Bulletin