Historic Markers Across Florida



Brandon Homestead



Marker ID:  
Location: 401 W Brandon Blvd, Brandon, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.229    W 082° 17.400
  27.93715    -82.29
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMM077
 



Text:

In 1876 James H. Brandon, son of town founder John Brandon and wife Martha, built this large two-story frame home for his wife Johanna and their seven children. They loved entertaining guests in their Folk Victorian southern mansion.
In 1901 William and Doc Estelle Brandon Varnedoe purchased the home. About 1912 Edward Linsley bought it and from 1946 to 1955 his daughter's family, the Walter Clayton's lived here. In 1960, with financial backing from John "Rudy" Williams, Dick Stowers' dream commenced when they purchased and converted it into a funeral home. "The facade and basic floor plan of the original L-shaped house has been preserved." This structure remains a central image for Brandon today.

Dedicated in honor of the Brandon Centennial Donated by: The Dick Stowers Family