Historic Markers Across Florida



Academy of the Holy Names



Marker ID:  
Location: at North Albany St and West Spruce St in West Tampa, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 57.565    W 082° 28.841
  27.95941666    -82.48068333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQ79X
 



Text:

On Sept. 14, 1896, Sisters of the Holy Names established The Academy of The Holy Names by order of Bishop John Moore. Sisters Mary Emiline and Mary Hubert were the first teachers in this brick school.

On Nov. 29, 1896, Fr. William Tyrrell, S.J., offered the first Catholic mass in West Tampa in the second floor chapel. It is here that the history of St. Joseph Parish begins. In 1930, when the Academy was moved to Bayshore, the Salesian Sisters took charge of the school renaming it St. Joseph School. In 1955, the school moved to Cherry and MacDill.


The West Tampa Centennial Society, Inc.
and the Tampa Historical Society