Historic Markers Across Florida



Hugh C. Macfarlane 1851-1935 Founder of West Tampa



Marker ID:  
Location: at the end of George Guida Memorial Drive, west of North MacDill Avenue in Macfarlane Park, Tampa, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 57.515    W 082° 29.695
  27.95858333    -82.49491666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQ7EF
 



Text:

His was a life of achievements – a great lawyer, pioneer land developer, public servant and a Tampa booster. Had the honor of serving as State's Attorney, Tampa City Attorney, Port Commissioner, and Supt. of Public Works. In 1892, converted 200 acres of an alligator infested wilderness into the City of West Tampa. Donated lands and buildings to cigar manufacturers, constructed the Fortune St. bridge and a streetcar line. In 1908, donated 40 acres for the creation of Macfarlane Park.

Macfarlane had "the canniness of a Scot, the resourcefulness of an American and the genuine wit and wisdom of a Florida Cracker."

Tampa Historical Society