Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Hyde Park



Marker ID:  
Location: Old Hyde Park Village on South Village Circle off of S. Dakota Ave., Tampa, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.182    W 082° 28.529
  27.93636666    -82.47548333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQ894
 



Text:

Hyde Park began on February 13, 1886 when O.H. Platt of Hyde Park, Ill., subdivided 20 acres and named it after his hometown. By 1910 Hyde Park with its Georgian and Mediterranean estates had become the most desirable and glamorous residential section of Tampa.

In the 1840's the first American pioneers to "cross the river" and settle the area were W.T. Haskin, Wm. A. Morrison, James M. Watrous, Robert Jackson and Capt. Joseph Moore.

Actually the first settlement in Hyde Park was Spanishtown Creek which consisted of a small fishing village, a cluster of palmetto huts, dating to the Second Spanish Period, 1783 to 1821.

The Tampa Historical Society