Historic Markers Across Florida



Charles Lafayette Knight "Charley" May 31, 1928-March 25, 1996



Marker ID:  
Location: off S. Harbour Island Blvd. along the waterfront in front of Jackson's Bistro restaurant, Tampa, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.330    W 082° 27.300
  27.93883333    -82.455
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQ89F
 



Text:

"Knight's Point" is dedicated in memory of Charley Knight, a native Tampan, well-known property appraiser and prominent collector of Native-American artifacts. Knight always had a keen interest in and fond feelings for the 177-acre tract of land now known as Harbour Island. Dating back to the early 1900's his grandfather, C.L. "Lefty" Knight, conceived the idea that the mud flat, then known as Seddon Island, would make an ideal shipping facility. He worked diligently with city government in perfecting the title to the man-made island, and then selling the island to the Seaboard Railroad.

In later years Charley Knight always felt the potential use of the island was far better than just the storage yard and railroad distribution center that it had become. Often referred to as the founding father of Harbour Island, Charley Knight envisioned an upscale commercial and residential development creating Tampa's new urban community; a vision that became reality when Beneficial Corporation acquired the island in 1979. "Knight's Point" is a tribute to his perseverance and dreams for the future of Tampa and this island.

Tampa Historical Society in cooperation with Harbour Island Inc