Historic Markers Across Florida



The West Tampa Boys Club



Marker ID:  
Location: on West Union St. just west of North Albany Avenue in playground, Tampa, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 57.481    W 082° 28.892
  27.95801666    -82.48153333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQZVC
 



Text:

The West Tampa Boys Club


On this site, the West Tampa Boys Club was organized around 1923 at the Rosa Valdez Settlement, a Methodist mission. From 1926 until 1944, the club was a major project of the Tampa Rotary Club. Under leadership of E.S. "Pep" Krantz and Charles "Stretch" Murphy, it became Florida's largest. With club sponsorship, Tony Pereira started Boy Scout Troop 38 here in 1930. West Tampa Boys Club became part of Boys Clubs of Tampa, Inc. in 1944.

Erected in 1991 - Jose and Mirta Gonzalez and Sponsored by the Tampa Historical Society