Historic Markers Across Florida



Spanish Exploration of Temple Terrace-April 25 & 26, 1757



Marker ID:  
Location: Located in Riverhills park on S Riverhill Dr, Temple Terrace, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 28° 01.231    W 082° 23.232
  28.02051666    -82.3872
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTXN6
 



Text:

Spanish Exploration
of Temple Terrace
April 25 & 26, 1757



On April 25, 1757, as they explored the Hillsborough River (Rio De San Julian Y Arriaga) and searched for pine trees for ship masts. Don Francisco Maria Celi, Captain of the Spanish Royal Fleet, and 19 armed members of the expedition camped in this vicinity.

Here the Spaniards found "pine trees of great magnitude" and the river water "very delicate in taste." They reveled in it for it was "aqua buena y clara." They erected a cross naming the first "El Pinal De La Cruz De Santa Teresa.

The Temple Terrace City Council,
Chamber of Commerce, & Preservation, Inc.