Historic Markers Across Florida



Memorial Highway



Marker ID:  
Location: intersection of West Kennedy Boulevard (State Road 60) and Memorial Hwy., Tampa, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.698    W 082° 31.778
  27.94496666    -82.52963333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMV5FV
 



Text:

Memorial Highway
"Road of remembrance to those who gave their lives for liberty in the World War, 1917-18"


This monument, originally in Oldsmar, was one of two dedicated on January 2, 1921 to mark the beginning and end of the Nation's first "Road to Remembrance" constructed after World War One. They memorialized the 105 men and one woman from Hillsborough County who lost their lives in service to our country as members of the United States Armed Forces.

An identical monument was at the road's start then located at Grand Central (now Kennedy Boulevard) and Howard Avenues-at that time the western city limit of Tampa. That monument now stands in the American Legion Cemetery just west of Kennedy Boulevard and Dale Mabry Highway. Granite obelisks served as mile posts on the fifteen miles of highway described as "the first asphalt road to Pinellas County," bronze scrolls on the obelisks and on the bases of the two monuments bear the names of the deceased.

Memorial Highway was created and implemented by the Rotary Club of Tampa. Designed by Rotarian Ralph Martin and engineered by fellow member Jack Hedrick, the club appropriated $7,500 for beautification. The entire length of the road was lined with water oaks and oleanders. Contributions toward construction came from the club , its members, the City of Tampa, Hillsborough County, and private individuals. The dedication ceremony was one of the largest public events in Tampa up to that date and was attended by representatives and troops of the U.S. Army and Navy, the American Legion and government officials.

Erected 2000 by The Tampa Historical Society.