Historic Markers Across Florida



Site of Methodist Episcopal Church South~1885-1902



Marker ID:  
Location: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd between Howard St and Daniel St., Plant City, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 28° 00.814    W 082° 07.637
  28.01356666    -82.12728333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVFY8
 



Text:

Site of
Methodist Episcopal Church South
~1885-1902 ~


Plant City's first church building was erected here by the Methodist congregation established at Ichepucksassa in 1850 by Rev. Samuel Knight. The congregation relocated from Shiloh to the new Town of Plant City where a church was erected under the supervision of Rev. T.J. Phillips. It was dedicated in December 1885 by W.H. Potter, D.D. of Macon, Georgia. The membership totaled 70.

1985
The First United Methodist Church,
Rev. W. Ernest Dorrell, Pastor; Rev. R.C. Joyner, Parish Minister