Historic Markers Across Florida



Site of Alderman's Ford-First Crossing Point of the Alafia River in This Vicinity



Marker ID:  
Location: parking area of Alderman's Ford Park, Plant City, FL
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 52.055    W 082° 08.263
  27.86758333    -82.13771666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMVFYA
 



Text:

Site of Alderman's Ford
First Crossing Point of the Alafia River in This Vicinity


In 1848, James Alderman settled near this site, a densely forested area, and cut down the steep banks of the Alafia River to make it easier for horses and wagons to ford it. The area became known as Alderman's Ford.

As the land to the south of the river became more settled and crossings increased, the area around the ford grew in popularity for meetings and socializing. Picnics were common here as early as 1888. In 1902 the site became the scene of political rallies. In an era before the growth of mass communications, many political careers were launched at the ford. For more than half a century the Democratic Party of Hillsborough County kicked off its campaigns by popping political fireworks at the park.

The Hillsborough County Parks and Recreation Department
with the cooperation of the Hillsborough County Historical Commission