Historic Markers Across Florida



Holmes County



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: Virginia and Oklahoma Streets, on courthouse grounds
County: Holmes
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Holmes County, noted for agriculture and timber, was created in 1848. The first county seat was at Hewett´s Bluff, later known as Bear Pen. Cerro Gordo and Westville also served as county seat. Bonifay, the present site, was selected in 1905. Controversy surrounds the county´s name. One claim credits a North Carolinian name Holmes who settled in the area around 1830. Another contends it was named for an Indian chief who had been given the English name of Holmes.


Notes:

City: Bonifay, FL