Historic Markers Across Florida



Fellsmere Grade



Marker ID: FLHM F-404
Location: Fellsmere Grade adjacent to recreational area
County: Indian River
Coordinates: N 27° 49.345    W 080° 36.448
  27.82241666    -80.60746666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Fellsmere Grade


Fellsmere, the northernmost town in St. Lucie County in 1919, had a population of over 800 people. The county built the first public road to cross the St. Johns River marsh in St. Lucie County (now Indian River County). Promote as the Fellsmere-Tampa cross state road, this road allowed travel between the interior and the coast. From 1919 until the 1940´s, this road served as an important transportation route from Fellsmere, across the river to Kenansville, the sawmill at Holopaw, and the cattle markets of Kissimmee, but it never reached Tampa. During these decades it became a state road (SSR 170) and provided a corridor to Central Florida and a recreational access to the St. Johns River marshes. The town of Fellsmere was dependent on the sportsmen attracted to these resources. In the late 1940´s the bridges burned across the river and the Fellsmere Grade ended in the marsh six miles from this site. Today this road serves the public as a recreational access.


St. Johns River Water Management District,
Indian River County Historical Society,
and Florida Department of State



Notes:

City: Fellsmere, FL