Historic Markers Across Florida



The Fellsmere Railroad



Marker ID: FLHM F-725
Location: On S. Carolina Ave at Community Rd, Fellsmere, FL
County: Indian River
Coordinates: N 27° 46.445    W 080° 36.095
  27.77408333    -80.60158333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMMFW7
 



Text:

The standard-gauge Fellsmere Railroad was completed in 1910 with 60 lb. rail to replace the old Sebastian & Cincinnatus narrow-gauge railroad built in 1896 between Sebastian and Fellsmere. The Fellsmere Farms Company used the 10-mile-long railroad from September 1910 until May 1, 1911, for carrying logs to the Florida East Coast Railway in Sebastian and for transporting supplies, materials, equipment, and heavy machinery used for excavating drainage canals to Fellsmere. The railroad officially opened to the public on May 1, 1911, and ran four passenger trains daily with only two on Sunday, to and from Sebastian and Fellsmere. On January 23, 1913, the 12’ x 32’ Fellsmere Depot was opened for service, with Edward Nelson Fell, the founder of Fellsmere, purchasing the first ticket. The depot was built on the south side of the mainline north of the intersection of Broadway and South Carolina Avenue. By April 1915, the railroad was extended another 6 miles west of Fellsmere to Broadmoor (a now non-existent town). On June 2, 1924, the Trans-Florida Central Railroad (dubbed the “Dinky Line") took over railroad operations. On November 30, 1952, the railroad officially ceased operations after 42 years of service.

The Indian River Historical Society, The Fellsmere Community Redevelopment Agency,
and The Florida Department of State.
2011



Notes:

City: Fellsmere, FL