Historic Markers Across Florida



The Marian Fell Library



Marker ID: FLHM F-693
Location: On N Cypress St south of 97th St, Fellsmere, FL
County: Indian River
Coordinates: N 27° 46.258    W 080° 36.212
  27.77096666    -80.60353333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMMFWR
 



Text:

The Merian Fell Library, the oldest library in Indian River County, opened its doors to the public on May 1, 1915 at 63 North Cypress Street, Fellsmere, Florida. Construction of the library was made possible by Marian Fell, daughter of Edward Nelson Fell (the founder of Fellsmere) through royalties she received from translating literary works of Russian author and playwright Ashton Chekov. Born in 1886, Marian Fell was educated in private schools in the United States, Paris, and Russia. Between 1912 and 1916, Scribner's published five of Marian Fell's translations, some of the first Russian literature to appear in English. The Fell family is believed to have resided directly across the street from the library, at 88 Cypress Street, from 1915 to 1917. North of the library were two grass tennis courts belonging to the Fellsmere Tennis Association, where the 1916 Fell Cup was held. The Fell Library is typical of many architecturally modest library buildings constructed in small Florida towns during the early twentieth century, and has been used for readings, recitals, meetings, social events, and children's programs since it opened. The library is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Indian River Country Historical Society, The Mary Carter Memorial Fund,
The Fellsmere Community Redevelopment Agency
and the Florida Department of State
2010



Notes:

City: Fellsmere, FL