Historic Markers Across Florida



Jackson County



Marker ID: FLHM F-195
Location: U.S. 90, on Courthouse grounds.
County: Jackson
Coordinates: N 30° 46.432    W 085° 13.571
  30.77386666    -85.22618333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7Z6K
 



Text:

On August 12, 1822, the year after the United States received possession of the Floridas, an Act of the Territorial Legislative Council divided West Florida into two counties - Jackson and Escambia. At that time, Jackson County included all territory between the Choctawhatchee and Suwannee Rivers, and area which now encompasses land in seventeen North Florida Counties. Jackson County is named in honor of Andrew Jackson, Governor of the Territories of East and West Florida. The county seat is Marianna, incorporated November 5, 1828.

Sponsors: Sponsored by Jackson County Historical Commission In Cooperation With Department of State


Notes:

City: Marianna, FL