Historic Markers Across Florida



Greenwood Baptist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 4156 Bryan St, Greenwood, FL
County: Jackson
Coordinates: N 30° 52.025    W 085° 09.751
  30.86708333    -85.16251666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHRHQ
 



Text:

According to existing minutes: On Sunday, March 16th, 1845, elders Joshua Mercer and Thomas Lang met and constituted Thomas K. Mercer, J.J. Mercer, Mary Mercer, his wife, Polly Mercer, William Mercer, Mary Syphrett, E.A.T. Mercer and Mary E. Horne into a church to be called Union Academy Church located two miles south of here. The church was constituted upon the faith of the Florida Association. Elder Joshua Mercer was chosen first pastor. Monthly meetings were held on the third Sunday and the Saturday before. Elijah Bryan, for $1.00 deeded this present site to the church. On September 1st 1855, the name was changed to Greenwood Baptist Church and in 1946 the church joined the newly formed Chipola Baptist Association.

Chipola Historical Trust