Historic Markers Across Florida



The Abstract Office



Marker ID:  
Location: on Jefferson St, south of Lafayette St, Marianna, FL
County: Jackson
Coordinates: N 30° 46.404    W 085° 13.613
  30.7734    -85.22688333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKX0Z
 



Text:

The Abstract Office is the oldest business building in Marianna. Believed to have been built as his office in the 1840's by Dr. W.S. Wilson who died in 1868. Marianna's telephone exchange was established in 1801 and this building housed the Central Office.

J.A. Ormond purchased the building in 1910 and moved it from Market Street to this location. Indexed records of all Jackson County real estate transactions from 1847 were housed here until 2000. The building was renovated to its present appearance in 1965 by Bob and Pat Crisp.

Florida Land Title and Trust Company was operated by J.A. Ormond and Robert F. Crisp in this building for almost 90 years.

Chipola Historical Trust, Inc.