Historic Markers Across Florida



First United Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 2901 Caledonia St, Marianna, FL
County: Jackson
Coordinates: N 30° 46.553    W 085° 13.754
  30.77588333    -85.22923333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKX10
 



Text:

Methodists first conducted services in this area in 1823, and organized Marianna's first church congregation on December 10, 1834. In 1838, the Methodists erected the town's first church building, a wooden structure facing east. In 1892 the congregation constructed a second wooden, featuring a tall steeple tower. Then in 1916 the membership built the present sanctuary, the first brick church edifice in Marianna, adding the educational building in 1948 and the youth center in 1973.

For over 150 years Marianna Methodists have glorified God with their devotion to the spiritual welfare of the community. In observance of their 1984 sesquicentennial, the congregation paid tribute to the founders of this church and to those who preserved the faith for a century and a half.

1834 — Methodist Episcopal Church of America
1844 — Methodist Episcopal Church, South
1930 — The Methodist Church
1968 — The United Methodist Church