Historic Markers Across Florida



First Baptist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: At the church on FL 2 and Fernwood St, Campbellton, FL
County: Jackson
Coordinates: N 30° 56.920    W 085° 23.712
  30.94866666    -85.3952
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNXVQ
 



Text:

Bethlehem Missionary Church was established March 12, 1825 with twenty charter members and Rev. E.W. Hallway Pastor. Landowners, slaves and the poor were all in the fellowship of the church. In 1826 ten acres of land was bought for $50 to build a church and a public school. The first meeting house was log, and the present wooden building was built in 1858. Bethlehem Church was the first Baptist church in Florida to have a Women's Missionary Society. In 1859 the name was changed to Campbellton Baptist Church and later to First Baptist Church of Campbellton. Full time services began in 1954. The church has been in existence longer than any Baptist church in Florida.

1996 Chipola Historical Trust