Historic Markers Across Florida



Lamont Community



Marker ID: FLHM F-366
Location: Lot east of post office, US 27, Lamont, FL
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 30° 22.699    W 083° 48.870
  30.37831666    -83.8145
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9FED
 



Text:

Lamont Community


Lamont began existence in 1848 when a U.S. post office was established at Beasley's Store which also served as a horse changing station on the stagecoach line between Tallahassee and St. Augustine. After the Civil War, the small settlement that had grown up in the area was known locally by the unusual name “Lick Skillet” and as McCane's Store. By the time its name was officially changed to Lamont in 1885, the town had grown to 180 residents with two stores, two grist mills and three churches. The community thrived after the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad built a line through the town in 1926. The town's residents worked in sawmills and turpentine stills. With the onset of the Great Depression in the 1930s, the town's industries failed, and many residents were forced to move away. Today Lamont's past is reflected by a former post office, built c. 1910, and several historic churches and houses.





F-366 A Florida Heritage Site
Sponsored by the Florida Department of State
Sandra B. Mortham, Secretary of State
1995



Notes:

City: Lamont, FL