Historic Markers Across Florida



Lafayette County



Marker ID: FLHM F-221
Location: U.S. 27 between Fletcheer St. and Monroe St. on courthouse lawn.
County: Lafayette
Coordinates: N 30° 3.19    W 083° 10.554
  30.05316666    -83.1759
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Lafayette County was created December 23, 1856, from Madison County. The county was named in honor of the Marquis de Lafayette, the French citizen who rendered invaluable assistance to the Colonies during the Revolutionary War. The famed Suwannee River forms the entire eastern boundary of the county. The county courts first met at the house of Ariel Jones near Fayetteville. The county seat was moved from New Troy to Mayo in 1893. Dixie County was created from the lower part of the county in 1921.Sponsors: sponsored by Lafayette County Development Authority in cooperation with Department of State


Notes:

City: Mayo, FL