Historic Markers Across Florida



Holy Trinity Episcopal Church



Marker ID: FLHM F-258
Location: on Spring Lake Road north of Fruitland Park.
County: Lake
Coordinates: N 28° 52.569    W 081° 55.032
  28.87615    -81.9172
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Holy Trinity Episcopal Church


Founded in 1886 by a group of young English men who came to this area to plant citrus groves, this church was opened in December, 1888. Earlier services were held at a barn on nearby Lake Geneva, midway between Fruitland Park and Chetwynd, a town two miles north of here no longer in existence. Despite severe economic and population losses following the freezes of 1894-95, this church remained open, and in 1976 descendants of the founders were still active in the congregation. The lych gate, rare in Florida, was added in 1889. The edifice is an unspoiled example of "carpenter gothic" architecture. In 1975, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.





F- 258 Sponsored by Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
in cooperation with Department of State
1976



Notes:

City: Fruitland Park, FL