Historic Markers Across Florida



Villa City



Marker ID: FLHM F-354
Location: Lake Emma Road, 3 miles north of Groveland
County: Lake
Coordinates: N 28° 37.11    W 081° 51.023
  28.6185    -81.85038333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Villa City


On this site in 1885, George Thomas King, founder of Villa City, built an estate that was the showplace of the area. By 1895, the town had a post office, school, church, hotel, photographic studio, dispensary and 35 homes. The citrus based community flourished until the Big Freeze of 1894-95. A small warm spell after a devastating Dec. 29 freeze, filled the trees with sap. Snow then fell in the evening of Feb. 7, 1895. The frozen trees exploded when the warming sun returned. Their hopes and dreams broken, the settlers left. The last original house, the Gano house, was demolished in 1968, but the beauty of the area remains.





F- 354 Sponsored by Villa City Homeowners Assn. Feb. 7, 1995
in cooperation with Department of State
1995



Notes:

City: Groveland, FL