Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Butler



Marker ID: FLHM F-93
Location: two miles west of St. Johns River Bridge, S.R. 40
County: Lake
Coordinates: N 29° 9.855    W 081° 31.628
  29.16425    -81.52713333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Fort Butler


Located on the west bank of the St. Johns, Ft. Butler was built in 1838 during the Seminole Wars. It consisted of a crude log stockade and barracks for the garrison. The Fort was one of the military installations designed to protect the St. Johns River, which served as an important artery of communication with the garrisons in central Florida. On the opposite bank, near the frontier settlement of Volusia, stood Ft. Call.





F- 93 Sponsored by Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. 1963



Notes:

City: Astor, FL
More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars