Historic Markers Across Florida



The History of Groveland High School



Marker ID:  
Location: on E. Cherry St, Groveland, FL
County: Lake
Coordinates: N 28° 33.502    W 081° 51.344
  28.55836666    -81.85573333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMH3G5
 



Text:

Side 1
Constructed in 1937 during the Great Depression, Groveland High School, home of the Greenbacks, was built as part of the national Work Progress Administration (WPA) projects. The original building contained first through twelfth grades. Later, the building was divided into an east wing for junior high classes and a west wing for senior high after Davis Elementary was built on the south side of the campus.

In 1962 a new library, auditorium, and gymnasium were built. The school underwent a major remodeling in 1979. Then in 1984, a fire destroyed the administration offices and ten classrooms. Students attended classes for a year and a half in nearby churches and portable classrooms while the school underwent reconstruction. The final graduation class was in 1993 when the communities of Groveland and Clermont merged their high school programs to form South Lake High School. The campus continued to serve as Groveland Middle School and was renamed in 1997 in memory of longtime Groveland Principal Cecil E. Gray.

Side 2
Many of the school's artifacts are preserved at the Groveland Historical Museum. The GHS alumni meet each spring to celebrate their memories spent in the hallowed hallways and conclude the event by singing their alma mater.

(Picture)

ALMA MATER
On our city's eastern border, Reared against the sky, Proudly stands our alma mater, As the years go by. Onward, forward, be our watchword Conquer and prevail. Hail to thee, our alma mater, GHS, all hail!