Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Myers



Marker ID: FLHM F-128
Location: 1st Street & Jackson Street on grounds of Federal
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 26° 38.704    W 081° 52.118
  26.64506666    -81.86863333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM40JF
 



Text:

In this vicinity, Caloosa Indian villages were located in ancient times. Around this site, in the Seminole War of 1841-1842, a fort was established and named for Lieutenant John Harvie. The fort was reestablished in 1850 and named Fort Myers, honoring Lieutenant Abraham C. Myers. This Seminole War ended in 1858. During the War Between the States, Fort Myers was once more re-activated as a base to round up wild cattle to supply beef to Federal gunboats patrolling the Gulf off Sanibel.

Sponsors: Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials In Cooperation With The Southwest Florida Historical Society


Notes:

City: Fort Myers, FL