Historic Markers Across Florida



Army Post Ft. Myers



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: S.R. 80 downtown Fort Myers
County: Lee
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

(Below a map) Army post Fort Myers was established 14 February 1850 with 116 men and officers. Winfield Scott Hancock, Q.M. Captain was assigned in 1856. During the last years of the Seminole War there were 835 personnel in residence. The fort was deactivated in 1858, then reactivated in 1863 during the War Between the States. The long pier was near present day Hendry Street; the hospital was west of Fowler. The riverfront officers quarters were where Bay Street is now.

Sponsors: sponsored by Nicholas Meriwether Chapter National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century in cooperation with Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Fort Myers, FL
More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars