Historic Markers Across Florida



Edison Park School



Marker ID:  
Location: on Euclid Ave., Fort Myers, FL
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 26° 37.952    W 081° 52.500
  26.63253333    -81.875
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5YZV
 



Text:

Historic Edison Park School, a public Elementary School, is one of the oldest in Southwest Florida. It has played a prominent role in the cultural as well as the educational life of this community.

Started in 1926 and opened on March 30, 1927, it was named for the gracious residential subdivision in which it stands, which was named for Thomas A. Edison, whose winter home it adjoins. The great inventor and his wife attended the cornerstone laying on May 13, 1926.

At that time the Edison Park School auditorium, with a seating capacity then of 500, was the largest auditorium in Lee County. As such, its stage was for a quarter of a century the site of most of the concerts and theatrical performances, amateur and professional, presented in Fort Myers.

The school´s first principle was the late Miss Pearl Bullock, who held that post for 32 years.
This marker placed November 10, 1983, by the Periwinkle Garden Club of Fort Myers, Organized in 1928.


Notes:

City: Fort Myers, FL

Edison & Ford Winter Estates