Historic Markers Across Florida

Sanibel Lighthouse

Marker ID: FLHM F-227
Location: Lighthouse Park on Lighthouse Road at Island's S.
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 26° 27.178    W 082° 00.860
  26.45296666    -82.01433333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1ZAM


The first permanent English-speaking settlers on Sanibel Island arrived from New York in 1833 as part of a colony planned by land investors. Although that settlement was short-lived, the initial colonists petitioned the U.S. government for the construction of a lighthouse on the island. No action was taken on that proposal at the time. By the late 1870´s, seagoing commerce in the area had increased in volume. The U.S. Lighthouse Bureau took the initiative in requesting funds for a lighthouse for Sanibel Island, and in 1884, construction of the tower began. The station was lighted for the first time in August, 1884. The significance of the Sanibel Lighthouse lies in the regular and reliable service it has provided for travelers along Florida´s West Coast. Since 1950, the U.S. Coast Guard property at the lighthouse has been a wildlife refuge.

Sponsors: Sponsored by Nicholas Meriwether Chapter N.S. Colonial Dames XVII Century in cooperation with Department of State


City: Sanibel Island, FL