Historic Markers Across Florida



Original Seawall



Marker ID:  
Location: Parking available at the intersection of Dean St and Bay St, Fort Myers, FL
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 26° 38.708    W 081° 52.241
  26.64513333    -81.87068333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMV4KQ
 



Text:

Original Seawall


In 1907, Dr. Marshall O. and Tootie McGregor Terry, City of Fort Myers' benefactors, proposed to improve the riverfront by constructing a seawall and riverfront boulevard from Monroe Street to Billy's Creek. Tootie "drove" the first piling for the original seawall in 1908 and construction of the section from Monroe Street to Jackson Street was completed in 1912. Infill allowed the seawall to be built 200 feet from the existing shore giving riverfront property owners more land and allowing for a riverfront boulevard, now known as Bay Street.

THIS PIECE OF HISTORIC SEAWALL EMBEDDED IN THE BASIN PROJECT MARKS THE LOCATION OF THE ORIGINAL SEAWALL.


Sponsored by City of Fort Myers Riverfront Basin Project
December 7, 2012